Parents, faculty and staff provided feedback on two calendar options using an online survey. 56.72% of respondents selected calendar option # 2 which aligned student and staff holidays with military training holidays throughout the school year. 543 votes were cast with 308 voting for option 2. Highlights include the following:
* First day of instruction is August 21, 2017, with students beginning the fourth week in August as has occurred in the past
* Adds professional development / work days at the beginning of the year while maintaining the 187-day teacher contract requirement. Linked to District of Innovation recommendations and teacher feedback each year, these days provide protected time for teachers for instructional planning and preparations, giving them time to design the most engaging and innovative experiences for students.
* Maintains federal holidays to align with our military community
* Maintains the traditional length of the Thanksgiving Break and Winter Break so our community can visit family
* Maintains the administration of final exams before Winter Break as well as ends the semester to address the PCS needs of students
* Recognizes January 2 as a student holiday that is in alignment with the military training day. It also provides for a Teacher Workday prior to the start of the second semester and an opportunity for counselors to register new students.
* Maintains five early dismissal days needed for parent conferences and other school related activities
* Aligns Spring Break with surrounding school districts
* Maintains the traditional San Antonio Battle of Flowers Holiday as well as a holiday on Monday, April 2
* Allows for the last day of school to end before Memorial Day to accommodate military moves, provide time for staff to complete end-of-school year tasks and prepare for summer programs
* Creates a one track district calendar to meet the needs of all students, PK – 12.
You can view the approved calendar HERE.